Monday, September 08, 2008

Crying

Here's an issue that I'd like feedback on from both of you who actually read this. What makes you cry? My observation of my own lachrimosity suggests that tears are a poor indicator of my emotions. I apparently cry at the slightest provocation, while on some occasions when I've been desperately sad, my tear ducts were like Tucson in August.

I find that Cindy and I are both non-weepers, as a rule, in funerals. I've been very sad in funerals many times, but I can only remember two where I cried (out of perhaps a hundred or more funerals I've attended), and in both cases I think that was because someone else was crying copiously at the time.

In general, I cry a lot more than Cindy does. She mostly cries out of extreme frustration, whereas I cry for the dumbest reasons.

I'm completely random when it comes to which movies make me cry. Here's a list of some that did:

Blood Diamond
Lord of the Rings (all three)*
The Constant Gardener (GREAT movie, but watch it with someone who knows where to cover your eyes)
Amazing Grace
The End of the Spear
The Passion of the Christ (obviously)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Saving Private Ryan
Amistad
Letters from Iwo Jima
We Were Soldiers
The Patriot
The Green Mile
3:10 to Yuma
Mad Max
Man on Fire
... and many more.

And some movies that DIDN'T make me cry that made several "Top Tear-Jerker Movies" lists I googled:

A Walk To Remember
Autumn In New York
Little Women
Man in the Iron Mask
Armageddon
Romeo and Juliet
Moulin Rouge
A Beautiful Mind
Hope Floats
Bambi
Lion King
Gladiator
The Notebook
Titanic
(Aside from the amazing effects, awesome recreation of the ship, and attention to historic detail, this movie was horrible. Absolutely worthless plot.)


And some books that had me crying:
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller
Lord of the Rings (all three, again.)
The Magician's Nephew (oddly, this is the only one of the Narnia series I remember crying while reading - it's the part where Digory wants the apple to heal his mother)
The Reverse of the Medal (by Patrick O'Brian - one of the Aubrey/Maturin series that includes Master and Commander)
Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose

What about y'all? I think I want some feedback on this one.


*A note on this: I don't really cry at the death scenes (except for Boromir's in Fellowship - I mean, of COURSE). The Lord of the Rings moment is like this pressure in your chest, a swelling pride. It comes when the elves march in to help at Helm's Deep, or when Rohan Charges at the Battle of Pelennor Fields, or when Aragorn gives his "...but it is not THIS day. Today, we fight!" speech. It tears you up from the glory and virtue and sacrifice and the sense of standing with them and staring death in the face without backing down. I got that feeling the most of any movie when Private Ryan tells Captain Miller that he's staying at that bridge. Some of you will scoff because I'm somehow equating LOTR with a WWII movie. LOTR to me perfectly captures in epic mythic form all of the great struggles and sacrifices of the "Greatest Generation" that won WWII. Take issue with that if you will.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

I tend to cry at things that have father-son issues. It's not because of a bad personal relationship; my dad and I get along great. Just something about that bond. So, the song "Cat's in the Cradle" gets me about every time. Movies like "October Sky," etc.

aaronash said...

I cried during "Saving Private Ryan" when Dad was setting next to me. I also cried while listening to the Narnia book where the boy is having his dragon layers peeled back.

I've also only cried at 2 funerals, but I don't really attend those very often.

d-wain said...

My family has a horrible genetic disorder which, in layman's terms, makes our tear ducts hyperactive. All it takes is a story about a faithful dog to get them going. Honestly, if I tried to list the films in which I've cried... Suffice it to say that I've got you beat.

MissTawn said...

Well, it's very interesting that you posted this, Jim...I'm getting caught up on your blog, as you know, so I've been reading backwards thru them. I read the Grand Canyon one before this and it had me teary-eyed. Both the descriptions and the simple mention of Cracker Barrel in FLAGSTAFF had me going. I'll post more on that actual blog, but thought a female perspective might be interesting here. I do not usually cry in movies...in fact, I am not much of a crier...but I do often cry during worship at church, and when my dad cries, that will get me anytime. Touching human predicaments also get to me...sometimes even reality TV!