Friday, September 22, 2006

Off-roading and stuff

One of my friends is Travis Sayler. He's a former youth pastor who just pulled what we in youth ministry call "the big sellout." That is, he became a senior pastor. But anyway, he shares my tastes in outdoor adventure and quirky humor. So we get along fine. Last week, we were at a pastors' convention, and we cut out one afternoon to go offroading in his X-Terra. My offroading experience previously was restricted to old Toyota Land Cruiser trucks in Brazil and Haiti, and these weren't really offroading in the technical sense; it's just that the roads in question happened to be less passable than your average pond.

So anyway, offroading. We were on a very primitive logging trail in the Missouri hills. There were sharp rocks jutting out trying to spear the tires, and the soil was really loose, crumbly stuff that would send you sliding downhill if you tried to cross a slope at the wrong angle. We got stuck for a bit once, much to the consternation of Travis' wife Daphne. But a good time was had by all. I'm just glad we were in his vehicle and not mine.

Still reading Wild at Heart, and the challenge to my soul is considerable. Incidentally, I think I'm probably "hearing" God more clearly than I ever have in some ways. It's really quite a rush.

No comments: